Electronic Repeat Dispensing
If you are on regular daily medication the use of the Electronic Repeat Dispensing service would be of great benefit to you and the details below explain what it is and how it works.
Great strides have been made in recent times to improve patient’s experiences in ordering and requesting medication prescriptions.
The introduction of Patient Access Service and the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) over the last year has made it so much easier for Patients to manage their medication requirements without even visiting the GP Practice.
Patient Access Services - amongst the many facilities this service provides is to allow patients to order their repeat prescriptions directly online.
Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) – this allows the GP to electronically send your prescription to the pharmacy of your choice.
Both of these services together mean you no longer have to go to your GP to collect your repeat prescription, just visit the Pharmacy you have nominated to collect your medication.
Now with Electronic Repeat Dispensing you can obtain your repeat medications from the pharmacy of your choice without having to contact the surgery to order a prescription as your prescription is automatically sent to them when your medication is due.
What you need to do
- You just go to your nominated pharmacy when you need more medication, or contact them by phone if you usually have your medicines delivered
- The Pharmacist will ask you some question when you collect your medication to check that there have been no changes and that everything is still needed
When do you need to contact the surgery?
- After you have collected your last Electronic Repeat Prescription your GP will need to review your medication before sending more electronic prescriptions to the Pharmacy
- The Pharmacist will print off some information with your last prescription to let you know what action you need to take before you contact the surgery to request a further supply of electronic repeat prescriptions (e.g. you may need a blood pressure check, a blood test and/or a review with the GP or nurse)
What about "as required" medication?
- Electronic repeat dispensing will only apply to the medicines that are on the ‘prescription token’ – ask the Pharmacy Staff to show you this if you are unsure. All other items will not be sent automatically and will have to be ordered, either by yourself, your carer/relative, or your Pharmacy
If you have any questions about how Electronic Repeat Dispensing will work for you, please do ask the staff at your nominated Pharmacy, or contact our Medicines Management Team at the surgery.